Sports fans: this is a fantastic tailgating dish, as long as you have a way to keep it either heated or refrigerated. Baked beans are one of the most popular side dishes to go with grilled food. Who says we have to wait for outdoor grilling weather in order to have baked beans? They are good anytime of the year, as they are a hearty side dish packing lots of protein. I have taken them to many covered-dish dinners, and I always return home with an empty dish. So I continue to make this recipe for some social occasions, and for at-home meals whenever baked beans “go with” the other items on my menu.
- 1 can pork & beans – the size can will depend on the number of people you plan to feed
- Worcestershire Sauce to taste (I use 1 – 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Colman’s dry mustard (or to taste)
- chopped onion to taste (optional)
- diced bell pepper to taste (optional)
- If there is a lot of liquid in the can of beans, drain off about half of it.
- Spray a glass baking dish or pie pan with a no-calorie cooking spray.
- In the dish mix together beans, Worcestershire, and brown sugar.
- Add dry mustard bell pepper, and onions. Stir.
- Cover and bake in microwave for 18 minutes, stirring at 6 minutes intervals OR
- If you prefer, bake in conventional oven at 350 F. for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes.
I don’t like a lot of liquid in my baked beans. So, when microwaving, they will sometimes need to be cooked a bit longer to evaporate any excess liquid. — Mia
This is another one of those old recipes where measurements aren’t used. As my grandmother used to say when asked about the amount of a particular ingredient, “you just put some”. The more beans I am making, the more of the other ingredients I add. One thing to be careful of is the dry mustard — use too much, and the finished product will be very hot. I have a lot of recipes in which I don’t measure every ingredient. This may be the only one I have where I don’t measure anything. I have, though, included some measurements as a jumping off point for you.